If you’re vegan, you don’t have to miss eggs, there are so many vegan recipes you can make and you won’t notice any difference. This vegan Spanish tofu scramble with potatoes and chorizo tastes like the traditional recipe, has less fat and is cholesterol-free.
All countries have their own particular customs and habits and Spain is no exception. Breakfast in our culture is the least important meal of the day and we never eat eggs, bacon or burritos. Lunch is the most important meal and we eat a lot (we love food!). Dinner is similar to lunch, but usually lighter and is normally served from 9 to 10:30 pm or even later. I think other countries have healthier habits than us because breakfast should be the most important meal of the day and we shouldn’t have dinner so late (I try to have dinner before 8 pm).
I used to have eggs for dinner before going vegan, especially omelettes and scrambles, I loved them! Since I’m vegan, I follow a high carb, low fat diet most of the time, so I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, legumes, cereals, nuts and seeds and I usually make simple recipes for dinner.
This recipe is so simple, you only need: extra virgin olive oil (or the oil you want, but please, avoid refined oils!), onion, potatoes, vegan chorizo, tofu, turmeric powder, sea salt, black pepper and Himalayan black salt or Kala Namak. I’m in love with this salt, it smells and tastes just like eggs! It’s more expensive, but it’s totally worth it and you need a dash of black salt to get the egg taste. If you can’t find it, don’t worry, the scramble will taste amazing too.
I use store bought vegan chorizo made with gluten, but if you’re a celiac or you’re following a gluten free diet, use soyrizo or chorizo made with soy. I try to avoid gluten, but it’s hard to find soyrizo here in Spain. You can also use vegan sausages, tempeh, tofu or just veggies. Sometimes I add green bell pepper too.
The traditional Spanish scramble is made with potatoes fried in extra virgin olive oil, it’s really yummy, but it’s not very healthy, so I want to share with you a healthier alternative that only requires a little bit of oil. You can also remove it if you want and bake, steam or boil the potatoes.
You can press the tofu before cooking it, but it’s not necessary. I add turmeric powder to get the yellow color, but you can also use saffron or paprika (avoid artificial dyes!). It’s okay if you don’t add anything.
It’s really easy to be vegan and you can make thousands of delicious recipes, like this tofu scramble. Vegan food is great for your health and it’s not boring at all. There are so many foods you can eat and you can still enjoy your favorite meals, just veganize them! Don’t forget to leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram or any other social network if you make this recipe.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup vegan chopped chorizo (100 g)
- ½ onion
- 2 medium potatoes
- 9.7 oz tofu (275 g)
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Dash of black salt or Kala Namak (optional)
- Heat a little bit of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and when it’s hot, cook the vegan chorizo (chopped) until it starts to golden brown. Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and wash them. Cut them in half lengthwise. Then, slice the potatoes in pieces approximately 3 mm or ⅛” thick. Peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- At this step, you’ll have to choose one version. Traditional version: In a non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat, add the potatoes, onion and salt to taste. The oil should almost cover the potatoes. Cook for about 15 or 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally. Remove the potatoes and onion from the pan with a slotted spoon. Set aside. Healthy version: In a non-stick frying pan, place one or two tablespoons of olive oil and when it’s hot, add the potatoes, onion, salt to taste and 250 milliliters or 1 cup of water and bring it to boil. You may need to turn down the heat slightly, so the potatoes do not burn. Cook for about 15 or 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally. Add more water if it’s necessary. Remove the potatoes and onion from the pan with a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Use a fork to crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces. Cook the tofu with a little bit of oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, sea salt , black pepper, black salt and cooked chorizo, potatoes and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes.