Easter is gone! What did you do? We’ve been resting after a crazy month, a lot of things happened in the last 30 days: my best friend’s wedding, we’re living in Germany, our trip to Amsterdam and we were sooo tired, but now we’re great and ready for sharing so many healthy, vegan recipes with you guys!
Do you know this recipe? Arroz con leche is a traditional Spanish recipe, very popular in our country, although is not a vegan dessert because is made with cow milk. We’ve made also a healthier version using brown rice instead of white rice and brown sugar instead of refined sugar. It tastes ever better and is good for your health!
The recipe is extremely easy to make and is also great for our high carb, low fat diet. If you follow us on Instagram, you’ll see we’ve been eating some food that is not low in fat, but we’re amazed with all the vegan options we’ve found here in Germany and we wanted to try everything (it was our duty as food bloggers ?). As we want to stay healthy and also don’t want to eat new clothes, we’ve decided to eat processed and high fat foods only once in a while and make all the super healthy and delicious recipes we know, like this vegan Spanish rice pudding. You need to give this a try!!!
- We use oat milk in many of our recipes, but you can use your favorite plant milk.
- If you prefer to use white rice, the recipe will be ready probably in about 20 minutes or so and you’ll need less milk.
- Feel free to add your favorite natural sweetener instead of the brown sugar. Please avoid artificial and refined sweeteners, they’re bad for your health.
- 1 cup brown rice (200 g)
- 7 cups oat milk (1 l and 750 ml)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 lemon peel strips
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (100 g)
- Place all the ingredients (except the sugar) in a large pot and bring them to a boil. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Then add the sugar and cook for 5 minutes more or until the rice is cooked. If the pudding is too dry, add more milk and stir.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon peel strips.
- Transfer the pudding to serving bowls, glasses or goblets. Chill the pudding in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Add your favorite toppings, we added some Goji berries and chopped pistachios.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!