- 4 ounces textured vegetable protein chunks (110 g)
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine (125 ml), see notes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can tomato puree (800 g)
- Soak the textured vegetable protein chunks in a bowl with some hot water and the tamari or soy sauce for at least 15 minutes. Drain and set aside
- Add the garlic and onion to a large pot and cook them with some water, vegetable stock or oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water, stock or oil if needed.
- Add the wine and cook for 1 or 2 minutes more.
- Finally, add the rest of the ingredients, stir and cook covered over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the chunks are tender.
- Serve immediately (we topped the dish with some dried oregano and more ground black pepper) or keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- Wine is optional, add more water or stock instead.
- We’ve only made this recipe using textured vegetable protein chunks, but we think tofu should work as well. Sauté the tofu in a skillet (with or without oil) until golden brown and then add it to the stew.
- Tamari or soy sauce is optional. Feel free to soak the textured vegetable protein chunks in just hot water or stock and add more salt to the stew if needed.
- Prep time doesn’t include soaking time.
- Nutritional info doesn’t include the tamari or soy sauce, as we discard most of it.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 640 mg
- Fat: 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.1 g
- Fiber: 10.3 g
- Protein: 17.5 g