Leche merengada (meringue milk) is a typical Spanish drink made with milk, egg whites, white sugar, cinnamon and the skin of a lemon. You can find it in many ice cream parlors here in Spain and is super refreshing, but it’s not vegan.
This recipe is so simple and the ingredients really easy to get, besides, it’s healthier and lighter than the traditional leche merengada and also cruelty-free!
I used maple syrup instead of the white sugar, but any natural sweetener is okay. I didn’t use a substitute for the egg whites because I wanted a simple and refreshing drink, but you can use coconut whipped cream (or any other vegan whipped cream) to make your leche merengada thicker.
Serve this delicious drink very cold and add some ground cinnamon on top. It’s the perfect way to beat the heat because vegan leche merengada is so healthy and tastes really awesome!
- 4 cups almond milk (1 l)
- The skin of a lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- Ground cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and stir.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Cover the saucepan and chill the leche merengada at room temperature.
- Remove the skin of the lemon and the cinnamon stick and transfer the leche merengada to a glass container.
- Store in the fridge for at least one hour or until it’s really cold.
- Add some ground cinnamon and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 19mg
- Fat: 28.6g
- Saturated Fat: 25.4g
- Carbohydrates: 14.2g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 2.8g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or any other social network).