I'm so excited to announce you that I'm studying to be a health coach at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN)! I studied economics at the university, but I didn't like it at all and I've always been interested in nutrition, so I want to learn more about it because is my passion and I'd love to help as many people as I can, to have a healthier lifestyle. I'll include more nutrition information on my posts in the future and I also hope to have some clients when I become a health coach.
As I told you before, we're trying to follow a high carb, low fat diet and we've been avoiding oil since a few months ago. We've decided to include it again in our diet, but just in moderation. There are so many scientific studies that prove that oil is good for our health and others prove just the opposite, so we prefer to listen to our bodies and enjoy food. Being Spanish is hard not to use extra virgin olive oil at least once in a while (we love it soooo much!), so we've made this Italian-style salad in a jar with some vegan pesto. Life is too short!
Salads are the perfect meal for summer and they're so convenient to eat on the go. These salads are so popular now in Spain and I've never made one salad in a jar before, but I have to admit that they're amazing! If you make any salad in a jar, pour always the dressing in the bottom of the jar to prevent some ingredients (like greens) go soggy, then add all the things you love and enjoy!
- You can use any other non refined oil or even tahini. If you want to make an oil-free dressing, use more lemon or water or some mustard instead.
- I know traditional pesto is made with fresh basil and pine nuts, but I prefer to use spinach and walnuts because they're inexpensive and I always have them on hand.
- Feel free to use your favorite greens, nuts or seeds, pasta or any other ingredient you like.
Vegan Salad in Jar
- 3.5 ounces buckwheat pasta
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 10 chopped cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped black olives
- ½ cup greens of your choice, we used lamb's lettuce
- 2 chopped walnuts for garnish
- 2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta, wash it and let it cool down.
- To make the pesto just blend all the ingredients in a food processor. You can also make it in a blender, but don't over blend.
- Pour the pesto sauce in the bottom of the jar. Next, add the pasta, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, greens and walnuts.
- Screw the lid on the jar and refrigerate.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
How many ounces of jar are you using? Thank you!
Hi Janice! 32 ounces or 1 liter 🙂 You're so welcome!
How long can I store the pesto in the refrigerator? 🙂
Hi Helene! For up to a week 🙂
This sounds delicious! How long does it keep in the fridge, do you know? I've honestly never tried the salad in a jar thing because I was unsure how long it would keep (and if I'm making a salad I tend to just eat it after I make it). I love the idea of making it ahead of time though!
Hi Nena! It lasts at least 1 to 2 days, but if it tastes and smells okay, you can eat it later. Have a nice day!
This pesto dressing was delicious! Thanks for the yummy recipe.
Hi Anne! Thank YOU for making the recipe 😉