For the vegan pumpkin cake:
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (70 g)
- 3/4 cup oat flour (85 g), gluten-free if needed
- 1/2 cup brown, coconut or cane sugar (1oo g)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (190 ml)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (190 ml)
- Vegan cashew frosting
- Chopped walnuts
- Extra ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (brown rice flour, oat flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice).
- Add the liquid ingredients to the mixing bowl (flax eggs, vinegar, coconut milk and pumpkin puree) and mix until well combined.
- Grease the cake pan with some oil (we love coconut oil for baking). If you use a non-stick pan, omit this step. We usually place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan to avoid using oil. We used a 9 inch or 22 cm round cake pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it rest in the pan until completely cool.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. We added some vegan cashew frosting, chopped walnuts and extra ground cinnamon.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge (covered) for 3-4 days.
- Feel free to use store-bought oat flour or just blend some rolled or instant oats in a blender until they are ground into a powder-like consistency.
- Use any other type of flour or sweetener you want, although maybe you’ll need to add more or less (take a look at the picture of our batter).
- Use any kind of vinegar you have on hand or even some lemon juice.
- As this is an oil-free recipe, we recommend you to use coconut milk or at least a plant milk with a high-fat content.
- If you can’t find pumpkin pie spice in your area and don’t want to make it at home either, just omit this ingredient, try the batter and add more ground cinnamon if needed.
- Nutritional info doesn’t include the toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 12.6 g
- Sodium: 242 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.2 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 2.6 g