- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour, gluten-free if needed
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water (375 ml)
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk of your choice (375 ml), I used soy milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pound potatoes (450 g), peeled and cubed, see notes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (4 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the onion over medium-high heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and whisk well for about 1 to 2 minutes until it’s cooked and fully incorporated.
- Slowly add in the stock while whisking.
- Then add the plant milk, salt, and pepper and stir until well combined. Add more or less liquid (vegetable stock/water and milk), depending on how thick you want your soup to be.
- Add the potatoes and bring the soup to a boil.
- Then cover it and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the heat, add the nutritional yeast and the lemon juice and stir until well combined.
- You can use an immersion blender and do 3-4 quick pulses or a potato masher to get a thicker and creamier soup. This step is optional.
- Serve immediately with toppings like tempeh bacon and chopped chives, or eat it with some seitan or tempeh.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Yukon Gold potatoes are great for this recipe.
- If you want to reduce the amount of sodium in this potato soup, use water or low-sodium vegetable stock instead, omit the salt or just add less of it.
- If you can’t find nutritional yeast, feel free to use brewer’s yeast or a little bit of beer instead. You could also omit this ingredient, but it gives the soup a delicious cheesy flavor.
- Feel free to use any kind of unsweetened plant milk, although soy milk is my favorite one for this recipe.
- Nutritional info has been calculated without the toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 517 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.6 g
- Fiber: 8.9 g
- Protein: 14.5 g