Aioli is so popular here in Spain and also one of the most delicious sauces I’ve ever tried. My two favorite Spanish dishes with aioli were patatas alioli (aioli potatoes) and arroz negro con alioli (black rice with aioli). Here it is the first recipe, the second one is made with fish and I haven’t made a vegan version yet, but I bought some vegan prawns last month and there were so good. I think I could also make it with some seaweeds and this amazing aioli. Do you guys want the recipe?
Patatas alioli is usually eaten as a tapa, not as the main dish, but it’s up to you. I love them so much I could eat it as the starter, main dish and also as a dessert. It’s also a super simple recipe. To make the aioli you just need to blend all the ingredients and then you only have to mix it with the steamed or boiled potatoes and parsley, add some extra salt and mix, that’s all. It’s a perfect summer cold dish, so refreshing and much lighter and easier to digest than the traditional patatas alioli because this is a low-fat recipe.
We’re visiting Rome and Venice next week, so if you know some vegan restaurants or stores there, please let us know in the comments. We could also share a post with all the vegan places we’re going there as we did when we visited London, what do you think?
Did you like these aioli potatoes? Check out these potato recipes: tortilla or Spanish omelette, roasted pesto potatoes, roasted patatas bravas, patatas a lo pobre (poor man’s potatoes) and vegan Spanish tofu scramble with potatoes and chorizo.
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment below, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Vegan Patatas Alioli (Aioli Potatoes)
Patatas alioli (aioli potatoes) is a typical Spanish tapa. It’s a perfect summer cold recipe and this vegan version is low in fat and easier to digest.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2-4
- 1 pound potatoes (450 g)
- 1/2 cup vegan oil-free aioli (100 g)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes (2.5 cm).
- Steam them for about 20 minutes or until soft. You can also boil them if you want. Let them cool down completely at room temperature.
- Add the aioli, parsley and salt and stir. Keep in the fridge in a sealed container for at least one hour or until it’s cold. You can also serve it immediately, although I prefer my patatas alioli cold.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 299.6 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4.7 g