Although Olivier Salad is a traditional Russian dish, you can find it at many restaurants and bars here in Spain. Do you know Spanish tapas? They’re a variety of appetizers or snack in Spanish cuisine. Olivier salad (ensaladilla rusa) and Spanish omelette (tortilla de patatas) are the most popular tapas in our country.
The Spanish version of this recipe is not vegan at all, it’s usually made with boiled eggs, tuna, mayonnaise and veggies, but this vegan recipe is healthier, cholesterol-free and tastes better!
I’ve always loved Olivier salad, especially in summer because is really fresh. I use homemade vegan mayonnaise, it’s ready in 2 minutes and you only need 4 ingredients to make it!
My vegan Olivier salad is super simple, only 6 ingredients needed: potatoes, carrots, peas, corn kernels, Piquillo peppers (you can use roasted red bell peppers instead) and vegan mayonnaise. Sometimes I add green beans too.
I prefer to peel the potatoes and the carrots before cooking them, but it’s totally up to you. I mash both with a fork when they’re still hot, but some people dice them.When they’re at room temperature, you just need to add and mix the rest of the ingredients and let stand the salad in the fridge for at least 2 or 3 hours (although it will taste better the next day).
I could eat Olivier salad all year long, although is a great summer side dish! It’s much healthier than the traditional recipe, but it’s a high fat recipe, so I don’t make it very often, but when I do, I enjoy it so much because it’s one of my favorite all time salads.
Don’t forget to tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or on your favorite social network) or leave a comment if you make this delicious vegan Olivier salad!
Vegan Oliver Salad
Although Olivier Salad is a traditional Russian dish, you can find it at many restaurants here in Spain. This recipe is healthier and cholesterol-free.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Fre
- 4 medium potatoes (1.6 lb or 750 g)
- 5 medium carrots (0.6 lb or 300 g)
- ¼ cup peas (40 g)
- ¼ cup corn kernels (35 g)
- ¼ cup chopped Piquillo peppers (60 g)
- Vegan mayonnaise and sea salt to taste
- Pour water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add salt and cook the carrots for about 10 minutes, then add the potatoes and cook both for 20 or 25 minutes more or until they’re soft. I always peel the potatoes and the carrots, but it’s up to you.
- Mash the potatoes and the carrots when they’re still hot.
- When they’re at room temperature, add and mix the rest of the ingredients.
- Let stand the salad in the fridge for at least 2 or 3 hours, although it will taste better the next day.