Tapenade is a delicious spread and is also a popular food in the south of France. The traditional recipe is made with anchovies, but you can make it vegan removing this ingredient, your tapenade will taste amazing as well!
I know this recipe is usually made using a pestle and mortar, but I prefer to use a food processor because is easier and the tapenade is ready in less than 5 minutes! You just need to add all the ingredients and blend.
We make an oil-free recipe using tahini instead of extra virgin olive oil. Tahini is one of our favorite ingredients, we use it almost every day. It’s made with sesame seeds and we prefer raw tahini because is more nutritious, it has a bitter taste, but once you used to it, you’ll love it!
You can spread tapenade onto bread or enjoy it as a dip with some crudités (raw veggies), rice cakes, tortilla chips or whatever you want. It’s also amazing to make sandwiches because they will have a super creamy texture. Tapenade + baked or sauté tofu + baked or sauté veggies + bread = best sandwich ever!
- Feel free to use any type or olives or fresh or dried herbs you want.
- If you prefer to use extra virgin olive oil instead of the tahini, add 2 tbsp.
- Garlic powder is okay.
- If you don’t have a food processor, use a blender, but don’t over blend.
- We usually keep it in the fridge for one week or so, but I think it could last even longer. If it smells and tastes good, I eat it.
Product we used to make this recipe (affiliate link):
- 1 cup pitted black olives (150 g)
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 clove of garlic
- Black pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 35
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Sodium: 172mg
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 1.8g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 0.7g
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!