This is our vegan version of the traditional Nicoise or Niçoise salad. It’s so tasty, satisfying and ready in just 30 minutes.
Nicoise or Niçoise salad is a salad that originated in the French city of Nice. I’ve seen dozens of recipes online using all kinds of ingredients, so I’ve made my own version.
Traditional Nicoise salad is not vegan, it’s usually made with hard-boiled eggs, tuna and anchovies. I’ve used potatoes instead of the eggs and our vegan tuna, which is out of this world. I considered to use sun-dried tomatoes instead of the anchovies, but I wanted the recipe to be simple, so I just omitted it.
Classic salad is usually dressed with extra virgin olive oil, but I made a new version of my tahini dressing. If you want to keep it simple and include oil in your diet, just use oil, your salad will be delicious as well.
There are so many Nicoise salad recipes out there, using so many different veggies and ingredients, so I’ve used my favorite ones. Some people also add fresh basil or even sautéed vegetables. There’s one thing I love about salads, they always work, so don’t be afraid to add whatever you like or have on hand.
looking for more salad recipes?
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 2 small potatoes (150 g)
- 1/2 cup frozen broad beans (85 g)
- 1 cup romaine lettuce (50 g), chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan tuna (110 g)
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Nicoise, Kalamata or black olives (45 g)
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Wash and chop the potatoes (we didn’t peel them) and steam or boil them until they’re tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- In the meanwhile, cook the broad beans according to package directions.
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- To assemble the salad, place the lettuce in a large serving bowl or plate and top with the rest of the ingredients (potatoes, broad beans, cherry tomatoes, vegan tuna, onion and olives). Serve with the dressing. You can also mix all the salad ingredients and the dressing in a large serving bowl or plate and serve immediately.
- Best when fresh, keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 1 to 2 days (dressing separate from the salad).
- If you can’t find broad beans, use any other type of beans (green beans are also a great choice).
- Feel free to omit, substitute or add any ingredient you want.
- Tahini can be replaced by 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil (omit the water) or even make a simple dressing using just oil and salt.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 524 mg
- Fat: 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.6 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 9.4 g