for the vegan meatballs:
1 cup oats (100 g)
1 and 3/4 cups cooked or canned black beans (500 g)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast (8 tbsp)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2-1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 flax egg
for the sauce:
- Add the oats to a blender and pulse until they are ground into a powder-like consistency. Set aside.
- Add all the meatball ingredients in a food processor and blend until well combined. If you don’t have a food processor, add them to a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher, a fork or use an immersion blender.
- Make balls with your hands (I made 30). Add to a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a little bit of oil (I used extra virgin olive oil) in a skillet or frying pan and sautée the meatballs over medium-high heat until golden brown. If you don’t eat oil, bake them at 350ºF or 180ºC until golden brown. Set aside.
- Add the marinara sauce and the vegetable stock to the skillet or frying pan, stir and bring to a boil.
- Cook the meatballs in the sauce over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately (I added some chopped fresh parsley on top) or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- The nutritional info has been calculated by using 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to cook the meatballs.
- Serving Size: 5 meatballs
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 9.2 g
- Sodium: 982 mg
- Fat: 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.6 g
- Fiber: 14.9 g
- Protein: 14.2 g