I eat salads all year long, but I make them more often in the spring and summer because it's so hot here in Spain. I usually add some leafy greens, the ingredients I have on hand (veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.) and my go-to salad dressing (it's so good I never have enough of it), although I also make potato, quinoa, pasta, rice or legume salads sometimes.
Although I was born in the north of Spain, I've lived in Malaga most of my life and this salad is one of my favorite Malaga's recipes, my mom LOVES and eat it all the time. The traditional recipe is made with potatoes, onion, olives, cod, some people also add boiled eggs and a simple vinaigrette (extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and salt), but I omitted the eggs (add some black or Kala Namak salt to get the egg flavor) and used some nori instead of the cod. It's much healthier, lighter and tastes even better!
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment below, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Vegan Malaga Salad (Ensalada Malagueña)
Malaga salad is a traditional Spanish recipe from the south of Spain. This is a vegan version which is healthier, lighter and tastes even better!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: Salad, side dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Spanish
- 1 pound potatoes (450 g)
- 2 oranges
- ½ onion
- 1 nori sheet
- ½ cup green olives (90 g)
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- Tahini salad dressing (we used the whole recipe)
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes (2.5 cm).
- Steam them for about 15 or 20 minutes or until soft. You can also boil them if you want. Let them cool down completely at room temperature.
- Peel and cut the oranges into cubes as well.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Cut the nori sheet. I used scissors, but a knife is also okay.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and add the olives, salt and dressing. Mix until well combined.
- Add some chopped fresh parsley on top (optional).
- I prefer to eat this salad cold, so I leave it for at least one hour in the fridge, but it's up to you.
- Keep it in a sealed container in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.
- Use any other seaweed instead of the nori.
- Spring onion is also a great choice.
- This recipe is usually made with Spanish marinated green olives, but feel free to use any olives you want.
- I used my tahini dressing, but traditional recipe is made with a simple vinaigrette (extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and salt). You choose!
- Serving Size: ¼ of the recipe
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 8.4 g
- Sodium: 526.4mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.5 g
- Fiber: 8.2 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
Keywords: vegan malaga salad, vegan salad, Spanish salad