- 1 pound dried pasta (450 g), gluten-free if needed, I used elbow macaroni
For the vegan cheese:
- 2 cups potatoes (360 g), peeled and chopped
- 1 cup carrots (135 g), peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (85 ml)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk of your choice (125 ml), I used soy milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (8 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Boil or steam the potatoes and carrots in a large pot for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- In the meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Place all the vegan cheese ingredients in a blender (including the cooked potatoes and carrots) and blend until smooth.
- Mix the cooked pasta and the vegan cheese in the pot and if they’re both hot, serve immediately. If they’re not, reheat the mixture for 1 or 2 minutes and serve immediately.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat it, add a little bit of milk if the sauce is too thick.
- Feel free to add other spices like ground black pepper, paprika or cayenne flakes.
- You can also add tempeh bacon, breadcrumbs, jalapeño peppers, fresh or dried herbs (oregano, basil, thyme, parsley) or this homemade vegan Parmesan cheese.
- If you prefer them baked, cover your mac and cheese with vegan cheese, add them into a baking dish and bake until golden brown.
- Choose any kind of pasta, but elbow macaroni is the most popular kind for this dish.
- Peel the potatoes and the carrots if you like cheese with a smoother texture.
- Use unsweetened plant milk.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 316 mg
- Fat: 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.9 g
- Fiber: 7.6 g
- Protein: 11.7 g