- 1 cup uncooked lentils (220 g)
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice (200 g)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ onion
- 16 ounces tomato sauce (450 g)
- ⅔ cup full-fat coconut milk (150 g)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Cook lentils according to package directions (we cooked them for 40 minutes over medium-high heat). Drain and set aside.
- Cook basmati rice according to package directions. We cooked them for 12 minutes over medium-high heat. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and the onion (finely chopped) and cook them over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add the tomato sauce, coconut milk and spices and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add cooked lentils, stir and cook for at least 15 or 20 minutes.
- Serve the lentils over the basmati rice. You can add some chopped cilantro on top.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- I like brown lentils, but any type of lentils will do.
- Use your favorite type of rice or even other grains like quinoa or buckwheat.
- If you want to make this recipe oil-free, just sauté the veggies in some water or oil-free broth.
- Chopped tomatoes can be used instead of the tomato sauce.
- If you don’t like coconut, add water or any plant milk instead of the coconut milk.
- Use your favorite veggies and spices.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 485
- Sugar: 5.8 g
- Sodium: 549.8 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 78 g
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 17.8 g