You guys loved our vegan carrot cake, so we’ve decided to make cakes more often and here it is a new recipe, this delicious lemon cake. I couldn’t tell you which one I like the most, so you’ll have to make both and decide.
The recipe is quite similar, but we’ve adapted a little bit and is made with lemons instead of carrots, obviously. It’s also low in fat, oil-free and made with unrefined ingredients. I’ve been using baking soda instead of baking powder for baking because I think it’s a healthier ingredient and it works so well, at least for me, but feel free to use it or any other ingredient you want.
You can see some pictures of the process below: the batter before baking, the cake before adding the toppings, the cake with the frosting and the final product.
- Feel free to use any other type of flour or sweetener, although maybe you’ll need to add more or less (take a look at the picture of our batter).
- As this is an oil-free recipe, I recommend you to use coconut milk or at least a plant milk with a high fat content.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (the brown rice flour, oat flour, sugar and baking soda).
- Make the flax eggs.
- Add the flax eggs, coconut milk, lemon juice and lemon zest to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Grease the cake pan with some oil (coconut oil is my favorite one). If you use a non-stick pan, you can omit this step. We usually place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan to avoid using oil. We used a 8 2/3 ” or 22 cm pan in diameter.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until it’s fully cooked.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down completely.
- We added some vegan cashew frosting, almonds, blueberries and lemon zest on top.
* We usually blend rolled or instant oats in a blender.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe with no toppings
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 13.2 g
- Sodium: 101.3 mg
- Fat: 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.6 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 5.2 g