- 6 oz firm tofu (170 g), drained
- 1/4–1/2 cup water (65–125 ml), see notes
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4–1/2 tsp turmeric powder, see notes
- 1/4 tsp Kala Namak salt (optional), see notes
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Cook the sauce in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until it’s hot, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately. Use it to make vegan eggs Benedict or enjoy with any food you like (it’s also delicious with grilled veggies).
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 4-5 days. If the sauce thickens, add more water, stir and then reheat it until you get the consistency you’re looking for.
- We added 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder to get a beautiful color, but I think the sauce tastes better with just 1/4 tsp. If you’re not a big fan or turmeric, add only 1/8 tsp or even omit this ingredient.
- We added 1/4 cup of water (65 ml), but add up to 1/2 cup (or even more) if you want your sauce less thick. It will thicken after cooking and also when it’s cold, so keep that in mind.
- Kala Namak salt gives this recipe an eggy flavor, but if you can’t find it, just use any type of salt you have on hand.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 14
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 89 mg
- Fat: 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.7 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1.3 g