- 1/3 cup unsalted raw cashews (50 g)
- 1 pound fresh green beans (450 g)
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock (190 ml)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plant milk or your choice (80 ml), we used soy milk
- 1 tbsp flour, we used brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms (170 g)
- Baked onion strings (optional)
- Soak the cashews overnight or for at least one hour in hot water. Drain and set aside.
- Boil the green beans for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add the cashews, vegetable stock, milk, flour, salt and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Sauté the garlic, onion and mushrooms in a frying pan with some water or oil until golden brown.
- Add the green beans and the sauce and stir. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Top with some baked onion strings (optional).
- Keep the vegan green bean casserole in a sealed container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Add your favorite veggies.
- The sauce also goes well with seitan, tempeh, tofu, potatoes or any other veggies.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe without the baked onion strings
- Calories: 147
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 444 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 6.6 g