This 30-minute vegan green bean casserole is gluten-free and perfect for the holidays. It’s so creamy, tasty and super healthy. Only 10 ingredients needed!
This is the green bean casserole recipe I talked you about in our previous post. It’s perfect for the holidays and beyond, even for those of you that hate green beans like I used to do because the sauce is so delicious and creamy. You’re going to love it!
We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Spain, but green bean casserole is also great for Christmas, special occasions or any time you want a flavorful and healthy plant-based meal.
I’m obsessed with the sauce, which is much lighter than the traditional one. Cashews are great for make healthier sauces instead of heavy cream or other dairy products, just add them to a blender with some broth, milk, salt, pepper and any flour or starch, blend until smooth and cook until it thickens, that’s all! You’ll have a tasty sauce in minutes that goes well with pretty much everything.
If you don’t like green beans, don’t worry! Omit this ingredient and add more mushrooms, some cooked potatoes, seitan, tempeh, tofu or any other veggies you have on hand. I need to try this sauce to make our pasta with peppercorn sauce and seitan because I’m sure it’s going to be amazing, besides, it’s much healthier and the ingredients are easier to get.
If you like our vegan green bean casserole, check out these recipes: vegan sweet potato and black bean enchiladas (gluten-free), low fat vegan shepherd’s pie, vegan quinoa and broccoli casserole, vegan lasagna and simple vegan meatloaf.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1/3 cup unsalted raw cashews (50 g)
- 1 pound fresh green beans (450 g)
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock (190 ml)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plant milk or your choice (80 ml), we used soy milk
- 1 tbsp flour, we used brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms (170 g)
- Baked onion strings (optional)
- Soak the cashews overnight or for at least one hour in hot water. Drain and set aside.
- Boil the green beans for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add the cashews, vegetable stock, milk, flour, salt and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Sauté the garlic, onion and mushrooms in a frying pan with some water or oil until golden brown.
- Add the green beans and the sauce and stir. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Top with some baked onion strings (optional).
- Keep the vegan green bean casserole in a sealed container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Add your favorite veggies.
- The sauce also goes well with seitan, tempeh, tofu, potatoes or any other veggies.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe without the baked onion strings
- Calories: 147
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 444 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 6.6 g