Hi everyone! We wanted to share this recipe last December because it’s a typical Spanish Christmas recipe, but we couldn’t, so we share it now. Anyways, polvorones are so delicious and you can make them at any time of the year!
Traditional polvorones are basically made with white flour, white sugar and lard, but we made a healthier, vegan and gluten-free recipe, which is really simple, tastes even better than the traditional one and is good for your body! We added some cocoa powder too, because we love chocolate and cocoa powder.
Have you joined to the 7-day smoothie challenge yet? It’s day 2, but you can join the challenge any time until January 17. We’re going to replace a meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner, you choose!) with a delicious smoothie. The challenge is great if you want to detoxify your body after the holidays and you’ll start the new year, improving your health because it’s an easy way to include more fruits and veggies in your diet, which also will help you to get rid of junk food cravings. It also can help you to lose some weight. Join us, it’s free!
- Use another type of nut if you want. If you can’t eat nuts, use some flour instead, but maybe you’ll need to add more or less.
- Feel free to use other non-refined oils or natural sweeteners.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
Vegan Gluten Free Spanish Chocolate Polvorones
These vegan gluten-free Spanish chocolate polvorones are a healthy alternative to traditional polvorones, which are made with lard, sugar and white flour.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 22
- ¾ cup raw almonds (120 g)
- 1 ¾ cup buckwheat flour (240 g)
- ¾ cup oat flour (90 g)
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (220 g)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (130 g)
- ½ cup maple syrup (160 g)
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 355ºF or 180ºC.
- Blend the almonds in a food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the sesame seeds) and blend until well combined
- Shape the polvorones with your hands and add some sesame seeds on top.
- Place them onto a baking sheet (I lined it with parchment paper) and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!