Love is in the air!!! It’s almost Valentine’s Day and today I want to share with you a special recipe, this amazing vegan gluten free chocolate cake with soy whipped cream and chocolate hearts, ohhh myyy! You NEED to try this cake!
It’s a super simple recipe, you only have to make a chocolate cake and add the whipped cream and the chocolate hearts on top, easy peasy! If you can’t find the chocolate hearts, add chocolate chips, chopped chocolate or whatever. It’s okay if you only add whipped cream.
The cake is also great for birthdays, parties or any special occasion, although it’s so delicious you don’t need any reason to make it.
I used teff flour, rice flour and potato starch to make the cake, but there are so many flours and starches you can use. It’s okay if you use white or whole wheat flour or other gluten flour. If you’re a celiac or follow a gluten free diet and you prefer to use other flours, you should read my guide to gluten free flours to know what flours you can use instead. If you use other flours and the batter is too thick, add more liquid and if it’s too liquid, add more flour.
I usually use soy whipped cream because here in Spain is hard to find another kind of vegan whipped cream. I’ve tried to make coconut whipped cream with coconut milk, but the milk I can buy here doesn’t work because it’s made with coconut extract and a lot of water. Fortunately, I found a coconut milk made with coconut and water a few days ago and I hope it works.
If you can’t find the chocolate hearts, don’t worry, there are so many things you can use instead, like chocolate chips, candy, fruit, chocolate syrup, nuts, seeds, or your favorite foods.
Many people avoid extra virgin olive oil to make sweet recipes because it has an intense flavor, but I love it, maybe because I’m Spanish and we use it to make all kinds of recipes. Coconut oil is a great choice, although there are many oils you can use. Avoid refined oils please, they’re so unhealthy.
Coconut sugar, maple syrup and dates are my favorite sweeteners. Maple syrup is really expensive in my country, so I have to use agave syrup instead, I like it, but maple syrup tastes awesome! Feel free to use other sweeteners when you make the cake, although maybe you’ll need to add more flour or liquid if you don’t use similar sweeteners (for example, if you use a syrup or molasses instead of the coconut sugar you’ll probably need to add more flour because the batter will be too liquid).
I’ve been using carob powder instead of cocoa powder and it tastes so good and is also healthier, but I prefer cocoa powder, I LOVE its flavor, although carob powder is a great choice and is caffeine-free.
To replace the eggs you can use mashed bananas as I did or applesauce, chia or flax seeds, pumpkin puree, tofu or any other egg replacer.
If you make this vegan gluten free chocolate cake for your husband/ wife/ boyfriend/ girlfriend or for a friend or a relative, please leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram or any other social network. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 1 cup teff flour (140 g)
- ½ cup rice flour (100 g)
- ½ cup potato starch (110 g)
- ½ cup carob or unsweetened cocoa powder (50 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup orange juice (250 ml)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (125 ml)
- ¼ cup agave syrup (85 g)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (70 g)
- Vegan whipped cream
- Chocolate hearts
- Preheat the oven at 180 ºC or 355 ºF. Grease the sides of a cake pan with oil. Place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan (I use a cake pan with removable bottom, but it’s not necessary).
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (teff flour, rice flour, potato starch, carob powder, baking soda and baking powder). Mix well.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in a blender (bananas, orange juice, oil, agave syrup and coconut sugar). Blend until smooth.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients and pour the mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake for 25 or 30 minutes. Let cool the cake before unmolding.
- Frost the cake with the whipped cream and decorate with the chocolate hearts.