This vegan gluten banana bread is so delicious, healthy, moist, satisfying and made with simple ingredients. It’s the perfect breakfast or dessert recipe!
Fall is the perfect time of the year for baking, so I’ve been using my oven a lot lately to bake mostly sweet recipes, like this vegan gluten-free banana bread, which is on my top 5 sweet recipes at the moment because is so healthy, moist, satisfying and tastes like heaven.
We usually eat it for breakfast with some fresh fruit and a glass of oat milk, but we could also have it as a dessert or a snack because it’s so delicious is hard to stop eating!
Walnuts take this banana bread to the next level and are so good for our bodies, but feel free to use any other nut or even some vegan chocolate chips instead. If you really love walnuts, add one cup instead of half a cup.
This recipe is also yeast and oil-free and made with natural ingredients that are easy to get. You really need to give it a try!
If you like our vegan gluten-free banana bread, check out these banana recipes: simple vegan chocolate chip muffins, raw vegan banana pudding, vegan gluten-free pancakes, simple vegan chocolate pudding and vegan gluten-free crepes (oil-free).
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 2 medium ripe bananas (1 cup or 270 g mashed)
- 1 cup light buckwheat flour (140 g)
- 1 cup oat flour (120 g), gluten-free if needed
- 1 cup cane, coconut or brown sugar (200 g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (190 ml)
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (50 g)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180ºC with an oven rack in the bottom third of the oven.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl (the light buckwheat flour, oat flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, baking soda and salt) and mix until well combined.
- Add the mashed bananas, coconut milk and flax egg to the bowl and mix again.
- Finally, add the vanilla seeds and chopped walnuts and stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Line a 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper or grease it with some coconut oil. Add the batter to the pan and bake for 60 to 75 minutes (our banana bread was ready in 70 minutes). Stick a toothpick into the center of the loaf and if it comes out clean, the loaf is done. Cover the top with foil if the banana bread gets browned, but the middle isn’t done.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
- Keep the banana bread in a sealed container at room temperature for several days.
- Feel free to use other flours or sweeteners. Add more or less if needed.
- This is an oil-free recipe, so full-fat coconut milk is an important ingredient. If you don’t like it, use a nut milk instead and add some oil if needed.
- Serving Size: 1 slice (of 10)
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 51 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5.1 g