- Add the vegan butter to an electric mixer bowl and beat until light and fluffy. You could also use a regular large bowl and a hand mixer.
- Add the vegan cream cheese and beat again.
- Then incorporate the vanilla extract and the salt and beat once more.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup (120 g) at a time, and continue mixing until thick and creamy. Add more powdered sugar if needed.
- Use it to frost vegan carrot cake, vegan vanilla cupcakes, or vegan carrot cake cupcakes. I usually keep the frosting in the fridge so it firms up before using, but you could also frost your cake or cupcakes immediately and keep them in the fridge until the frosting is firm.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. It will firm up when it’s cold, so let it soften at room temperature before frosting your cakes or cupcakes with it.
- I used store-bought vegan butter and vegan cream cheese to make this frosting.
- This recipe makes enough frosting for about 12 cupcakes or to frost an 8 or 9-inch two-layer cake (20-23 cm).
- You should use softened but not melted vegan butter. This is really important or the vegan cream cheese frosting won’t get the proper consistency.
- Make sure the sugar you’re using is vegan. I prefer to buy vegan granulated sugar and make my own powdered sugar, but it’s up to you.
- Prep time doesn’t include the time you need to keep the frosting in the fridge to firm up.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of the recipe
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 39.2 g
- Sodium: 375 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.5 g
- Protein: 0.7 g