- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal or polenta (125 g)
- 1/2 cup brown, cane or coconut sugar (90 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter or oil (65 ml or 4 tbsp)
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 batch of vegan buttermilk, see notes
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plant milk of your choice (85 ml), I used soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl (all-purpose flour, yellow cornmeal or polenta, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder). Stir until well combined.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the bowl (melted vegan butter or oil, flax eggs, vegan buttermilk, and plant milk). Stir again until well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8×8 inch (20×20 cm) baking dish (I greased it with some melted vegan butter, but coconut oil or any other oil is okay).
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool before slicing and serving. Enjoy it with vegan chili, soups, stews, vegan butter, jam, etc.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for 2-3 months (to reheat it, just transfer to the fridge the night before and bake at 300ºF or 150ºC for about 5-10 minutes).
- Feel free to use whole wheat flour or any other flour you want. Keep in mind you may need to add more or less milk.
- Cornbread is usually made with yellow cornmeal, but polenta is also a good choice.
- Any sweetener will do. If you use a liquid one, you’ll probably need to add less milk.
- I think vegan butter is the best choice to make this recipe, but coconut oil or any other oil you have on hand is okay. Extra virgin olive oil has a really strong flavor, though.
- If you don’t want to use buttermilk, you could use 1 cup or 250 ml of any unsweetened plant milk instead, but buttermilk is the best choice if you want a really moist and soft cornbread.
- Serving Size: 1/9 of the recipe
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 8.5 g
- Sodium: 193 mg
- Fat: 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.7 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 4.9 g