Spring is here, yay! It’s time to eat more fresh fruits and veggies and salads are perfect for this season, although I eat them all year long. Eat salads instead of fast and processed food, there are so many salad recipes you can make in less than 10 or 15 minutes and they’re super healthy and delicious.
I’ve never tried Cobb salad before, so I don’t know how the original recipe tastes, but this vegan salad is amazing! Just in case you don’t know, the traditional Cobb salad is made with iceberg lettuce, tomato, bacon, chicken, hard-boiled egg, avocado and Roquefort cheese, although there are many different recipes with other ingredients like black olives or onion.
This vegan Cobb salad is super tasty, healthier, lower in fat and cholesterol-free. Look at these vibrant colors! Plant foods are full of life and nutrients.
Cobb salad is super easy to make, you just need to place the lettuce in a bowl and top with arranged rows of your favorite ingredients.
I used romaine lettuce because is more nutritious, beans instead of chicken, cashews instead of cheese, corn instead of egg and tempeh bacon. They’re easy to get healthy ingredients.
If you don’t like cashews or they’re expensive or hard to find in your area, use any other nut like almonds or walnuts. You can also use some vegan cheese like this vegan tofu feta cheese, it’s so good!
The bacon tempeh has an amazing flavor and is healthier than the regular bacon. I used homemade tempeh bacon because here in Spain is hard to find vegan bacon and is really expensive, but you can also use store bought vegan bacon, another type of vegan meat like tofu or seitan or any other ingredient you like.
To make the dressing you only have to blend all the ingredients. Feel free to use other dressings (I love this vegan Caesar salad dressing), a simple vinaigrette, extra virgin olive oil or lemon juice.
I add the tempeh bacon only in special occasions because is not the healthiest food in the world. I also prefer to add extra virgin olive oil or vinaigrette when I make this salad in my daily life.
Don’t forget to leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram if you make this vegan Cobb salad. You should give it a try, it’s awesome!
- 1 head of romaine lettuce (julienned)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (100 g)
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned red beans (95 g)
- 1/2 cup chopped tempeh bacon (70 g)
- 1/2 cup diced avocado (75 g)
- 1/2 cup corn (95 g)
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews (70 g)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (54 g)
- 1/4 cup water (62 g)
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (84 g)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl and top with arranged rows of tomatoes, red beans, bacon, avocado, corn and cashews.
- To make the dressing, you simply combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. You can also whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve the vegan Cobb salad immediately with the dressing.