- 1/2 cup coconut oil (105 g), solid, not melted, see notes
- 3/4 cup brown, cane or coconut sugar (135 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk of your choice (190 ml), I used soy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (40 g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 and 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (210 g)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (90 g) + 2 tbsp for topping your cookies, (optional), see notes
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
- Add the coconut oil and the sugar to a bowl and mash them with a fork until well combined. You’ll get a creamy mixture, with no coconut oil chunks.
- Add the vanilla extract, milk and cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
- Add the baking soda and salt and mix again.
- If the temperature is warm where you are, chill the mixture in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to firm up, or the cookies will flatten and spread too much when baking in the oven. If it’s cold where you are, just omit this step.
- Add the flour and stir again. Then add the chocolate chips and stir until just combined (don’t over stir).
- Make balls with your hands, place them onto a lined baking sheet, press them down a little bit and evenly distribute them, about 2 inches or 5 cm apart because the cookies will expand in the oven. I like to add more chocolate chips on top before baking, but it’s up to you.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (my cookies were ready in 15 minutes) or until lightly golden brown and the tops look set. Let them cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack and then let them cool completely. If you don’t have a cooling rack, just use a dish or what you have on hand.
- Keep the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for 1 month.
- If the coconut oil is liquid, chill in the fridge for a few minutes until it solidifies.
- Chocolate chips can be replaced by chopped dark chocolate.
- Recipe inspired by Pick Up Limes.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie of 18
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 9.7 g
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Fat: 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.2 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 2.9 g