9-ingredient vegan cheese ball! So delicious, creamy, spreadable and easy to make. It has an intense cheesy flavor thanks to the nutritional yeast.
You’ve been asking for vegan cheese recipes for a while, so we have another one for you guys. Besides, vegan cheeses are so popular on the blog. I think it’s because everybody loves cheese and is probable the food vegans miss the most, in fact, many people can’t go vegan because of they can’t live without cheese, it’s so addictive!
Fortunately, there are so many recipes you can make at home and also lots of plant-based cheeses you can buy. Things are changing!
This recipe is SO simple, you need to leave the cheese ferment for at least 40 hours, but it’s totally worth it! Besides, it’s better for your health, the planet and the animals.
It’s not as soft as our vegan cream cheese, but it’s pretty soft, like any other cheese ball, vegan or not. We’ve covered our cheese with chopped pistachios, but any other nut or seed will do.
Alberto took some pictures of the process for you guys, hope you find them helpful, give this recipe a try and enjoy the cheese ball as much as we did.
LOOKING FOR MORE VEGAN CHEESE RECIPES?
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan tofu feta cheese
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Fat-free vegan cheese sauce
- Vegan cream cheese
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 2 cups unsalted raw cashews (300 g)
- 1/2 cup water (125 ml)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (4 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 probiotic supplements (optional)
- 1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped (70 g)
- Soak the cashews in hot water for at least 20 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and add it to a food processor with the rest of the ingredients (except the pistachios) and blend until smooth (we only need the probiotic powder, so empty the capsules and discard them).
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a mixing bowl, and lay down two layers of cheesecloth. Add the mixture, gather the corners and secure with a rubber band (see pictures). Cover with a dish towel and leave it in a warm place for at least 16 hours.
- Then unwrap the cheesecloth and transfer the mixture into a new clean 2 layered cheesecloth. Cover with the dish towel again and leave it in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
- Add the chopped pistachios to a shallow dish or a mixing bowl (we used a food processor to chop them).
- To serve, unwrap the cheese from the cheesecloth and gently press the finely chopped pistachios around it. Serve immediately with crackers, crudités or tortilla chips.
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 10 to 15 days.
- Recipe inspired by Hot For Food.
- Feel free to use any nuts or seeds you want.
- We buy our probiotic supplements from iHerb and they’re vegan. We love iHerb because we can buy some products that are hard to find here in Spain and they’re also quite inexpensive. If you’re going to buy for the first time, use our coupon code: JWT081 and save 5 or 10$ on your first order (they’ll give us a little discount on our next order).
- Serving Size: 1/20 of the recipe
- Calories: 113
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 109 mg
- Fat: 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.6 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 4.2 g