- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (70 g)
- 3/4 cup oat flour (85 g)*
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (100 g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp flax seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup shredded carrots (150 g)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (180 g)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (40 g)
- 1/3 cup raisins (50 g)
- Vegan cashew frosting (optional)
- More chopped walnuts and raisins on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 390ºF or 200ºC.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (the brown rice flour, oat flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon powder).
- To make the flax eggs, just blend the flax seeds and the water in a blender. Transfer to a jar or a bowl and let stand for at least 5 minutes to get a thick consistency.
- We peeled, chopped and blended the carrots in a food processor, but you can also use a blender or a grater.
- Add the flax eggs, shredded carrots, vinegar and coconut milk to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Then add the walnuts and the raisins and stir.
- Grease the cake pan with some oil (coconut oil is my favorite one). If you use a non-stick pan, you can omit this step. We usually place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan to avoid using oil. We used a 8 2/3 ” or 22 cm pan in diameter.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until it’s fully cooked.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down completely.
- We added some vegan cashew frosting, chopped walnuts and raisins on top.
* We blended rolled or instant oats in a blender.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe with no toppings
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 17.1 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 4.1 g