Here it is! The most delicious cake we’ve ever made. This recipe is not as simple as most of our recipes are, but is quite easy to make considering it’s a cake, especially if you don’t add any topping.
I’m trying to avoid oil because I prefer to use less processed fats like coconut milk, which is basically water and coconut meat. To make oil, you need to remove the fiber and other great nutrients that are good for your health. Anyways, you can use any other plant milk and add oil or any other healthy fat you want.
I want to share with you some pictures of the process: the shredded carrots, the batter before baking, the cake before adding the toppings, the cake with the frosting and last but not least, the best carrot cake we’ve ever tried!
It’s super easy to make healthy sweets and desserts. At the beginning, it can be challenging because we’re used to bake using white flour, white sugar, eggs and dairy, but you just need to learn how to cook using other healthy ingredients, that’s all. I know this is not a recipe you should make every single day, but at least I know I’m taking care of my gorgeous body while I’m enjoying this amazing treat.
- Feel free to use any other type of flour or sweetener, although maybe you’ll need to add more or less (take a look at the picture of our batter).
- Use any kind of vinegar you want or even some lemon juice.
- As this is an oil-free recipe, I recommend you to use coconut milk or at least a plant milk with a high fat content.
- Raisins, walnuts and cinnamon powder are optional ingredients as well.
Vegan Carrot Cake (Gluten Free)
This amazing vegan carrot cake is made with healthy ingredients and is also gluten and oil free. You can enjoy this treat and take care of your body.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (70 g)
- 3/4 cup oat flour (85 g)*
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (100 g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp flax seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup shredded carrots (150 g)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (180 g)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (40 g)
- 1/3 cup raisins (50 g)
- Vegan cashew frosting (optional)
- More chopped walnuts and raisins on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 390ºF or 200ºC.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (the brown rice flour, oat flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon powder).
- To make the flax eggs, just blend the flax seeds and the water in a blender. Transfer to a jar or a bowl and let stand for at least 5 minutes to get a thick consistency.
- We peeled, chopped and blended the carrots in a food processor, but you can also use a blender or a grater.
- Add the flax eggs, shredded carrots, vinegar and coconut milk to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Then add the walnuts and the raisins and stir.
- Grease the cake pan with some oil (coconut oil is my favorite one). If you use a non-stick pan, you can omit this step. We usually place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan to avoid using oil. We used a 8 2/3 ” or 22 cm pan in diameter.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until it’s fully cooked.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down completely.
- We added some vegan cashew frosting, chopped walnuts and raisins on top.
* We blended rolled or instant oats in a blender.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe with no toppings
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 17.1 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 4.1 g