- 2 tbsp flax seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (160 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (100 g)
- 3/4 cup brown or coconut sugar (120 g)
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup grated carrot
For the frosting:
- Soy whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Preheat the oven at 160 ºC or 320 ºF.
- Add the flax seeds and the water in a blender, blend and keep it aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg). Mix well.
- Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl (flax seeds+water, oil, sugar, milk, vanilla extract and carrot). Mix well.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix until well mixed.
- Line a muffin tin with paper or parchment liners. Carefully scoop batter into the cupcake holders, filling 2/3 way full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 or 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- For the frosting I’ve used soy whipped cream and chocolate syrup, but you can also use coconut whipped cream, vegan yogurt, jam or you can eat them with no frosting, they are delicious too!
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake (excluding the frosting)
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 12.4 g
- Sodium: 83 mg
- Fat: 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.9 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 2.4 g