Vegan Caprese salad, a delicious plant-based version of this popular Italian salad. It’s a super simple recipe and only requires 9 ingredients.
Caprese salad is an Italian salad made of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil leaves, seasoned with salt and extra virgin olive oil. We already have a vegan mozzarella recipe on the blog, but we’ve used tofu this time, as this tofu cheese is so simple and the ingredients are super easy to get. Store-bought vegan mozzarella is also a good choice.
Tofu can be eaten uncooked, but if you prefer, use vegan mozzarella instead (homemade or store-bought) or cook the tofu a little bit.
There are so many ways of making this recipe. We prefer to add small pieces of tofu and mix all the salad ingredients, but it’s up to you. In Italy, it’s usually served as and antipasto, not as a side dish, but feel free to enjoy it the way you want.
The flavor is amazing, you won’t miss real mozzarella and it’s healthier and lower in fat than the authentic recipe. We eat it very often, especially in summer, when tomatoes are in season.
looking for more salad recipes?
- Vegan kale Caesar salad
- Vegan pasta salad
- Vegan Italian chopped salad
- Vegan potato salad
- Vegan 7-layer salad
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!Print
For the cheese:
- 5 oz firm tofu (140 g)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the salad:
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Chop the tofu and use a fork to crumble it into bite-sized pieces. Add the tofu and the rest of the cheese ingredients to a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add the tofu cheese and the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately. Best when fresh, keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Any types of tomatoes are okay.
- Feel free to use our vegan mozzarella or any other homemade or store-bough vegan cheese you like.
- If you want to reduce the amount of fat in this recipe, add less oil or use some lemon juice or any oil-free dressing instead.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 8.1 g
- Sodium: 73 mg
- Fat: 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 8.5 g