We used to eat burritos very often, especially for lunch, but it's hard to find healthy tortillas here in Spain, they're usually made of white flour and contain so many additives and preservatives, so we've been making this burrito bowl a lot lately.
You can add your favorite ingredients or what you have on hand, it's also a great way to use up leftovers. It can also be a great lunch box recipe, in that case store the dressing in another container and add it just before serving.
I prefer to eat the rice, corn kernels and refried beans hot, but you can also eat them cold if you want, as if it was a burrito salad, it's a good idea, especially in summer. I would add more fresh veggies and less rice and beans, but it's up to you!
- Feel free to use any type of rice you want. Brown rice is a healthier option, but it takes longer to cook than white rice.
- Use your favorite veggies and herbs.
- You can also add some salsa instead of the tahini dressing.
Vegan Burrito Bowl
- ½ cup short-grain white rice, uncooked
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- Fat-free vegan refried beans
- 1 cup red cabbage, julienned
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, julienned
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1 chopped tomato
- A handful of fresh tomato, finely chopped
- Tahini salad dressing to taste
- Cook the rice and the corn kernels, according to package directions. We don't add any salt.
- Prepare the fat-free vegan refried beans. Use our recipe if you want.
- To assemble the burrito bowl just place the rice, refried beans, red cabbage and lettuce in the bowl and garnish with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add dressing to taste and serve.
- If you're not going to eat it immediately, don't add the dressing. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Carly Jean says
This is my first day of being vegan I tried being vegan for my first day yesterday but my mom kept making me things that is not vegan I am defiantly going to try this
Hi Carly! Hope you like it 🙂
This looks great, so fresh and colourful I love it. Definitely one to try over the weekend, I've recently turned vegan myself so I'm always on the lookout for new recipes so keep them coming!
Hi Robbie! Thanks a lot 🙂 Congratulations on going vegan!!!
Thank you for another wonderful recipe. Your photography is amazing! Is there any way that a photo of the dish could be included in the print option? Again, thank you, your blog inspires me and especially as I only became a vegan a year ago so have lots to learn.
Hi Kathleen! You're so welcome 😀 We could include it, but people prefer use less printer ink. Have a nice day!