These 30-minute vegan tacos are perfect for breakfast. You can also eat them for lunch or dinner, they're so delicious, healthy and satisfying.
Having tacos for breakfast in Spain is not very common, but I love them! We usually have a light breakfast, something like bread with extra virgin olive oil and tomato slices or something sweet with a cup of coffee (I don't drink coffee, actually I've never liked it) and maybe some orange juice.
If you don't like tacos for breakfast, don't worry, you can make them for lunch or dinner and eat them just by themselves or with a salad or your favorite side dish.
Making vegan tacos is so easy, I usually add some legumes and veggies, but you can also use any other ingredients you like (potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, quinoa, seitan, etc.). This is my favorite recipe. It's made with some tofu scramble, black beans, veggies, avocado and salsa. I also add some lime juice on top, but it's totally optional.
Store-bought taco shells are always fried, at least here in Spain and they're usually made with nasty ingredients, so I prefer to bake whole wheat or corn tortillas at home and they're just perfection.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- 6 whole wheat or corn tortillas
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- 10 ounces firm tofu
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 15 ounces canned or cooked black beans
- Salsa to taste
- 1 avocado
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC and drape the tortillas over 2 rows of the rack of your oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Chop the veggies (red bell pepper, green bell pepper and red onion) and sauté them in a frying pan with some water or oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until they're cooked, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Chop the tofu and use a fork to crumble it into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the tofu, turmeric powder and salt in a frying pan with some water or oil, stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until the tofu is cooked, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and reheat them in the frying pan with some water.
- To assemble the tacos, top tortillas with tofu scramble, black beans, some salsa, veggies and finally some avocado slices. Add some lime juice if you want (optional).
- Tacos are better fresh, but the ingredients can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Feel free to use store-bought taco shells or just heat the tortillas in a frying pan and make burritos.
- Use your favorite veggies.
- You don't have to use black beans, any other beans or legumes are okay.
- Add some black or kala namak salt instead of the sea salt to make the scramble tastes like real eggs.
Hi - can i use silken tofu instead you reckon? Looks delicious!!
I had found this by accident and made it! Talk about delicious, and bought that black salt from Amazon!! Added Pete's extra hot hot sauce and was totally delightful.
Hi! Sounds amazing 🙂 SO glad you liked it!
Just curious on you comment about Black or Kala namak salt to make it taste like eggs...
Interesting!! Tell me more about these salts.... Its weird but I actually (rarely) miss the taste of eggs for a breakfast treat... but can not tolerate an actual egg... Maybe this is the answer to my rare craving.
Hi! Black salt is really high in sulfur, that's why it tastes like real eggs. You should try it!