- 4 cups all-purpose flour (500 g)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 and ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 and ¾ cup warm water
- Combine the flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl.
- Add the water and mix until well combined. I prefer to use a spoon, but you could also use your hands if you want to. It will be a wet dough but it will become more manageable after it rises.
- Cover with a dishcloth and let it rise for 2 hours in a warm place.
- Grease a Dutch oven with a little bit of oil or line a 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper. Both work really well.
- Transfer the dough to the Dutch oven or loaf pan and let it rise for 30 more minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF or 230ºC for at least 15 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. You could also check the bread out by placing a knife into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean without any batter the bread is done.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack and then let it cool completely. If you don’t have a cooling rack, just use a dish or what you have on hand.
- Enjoy it warm or at room temperature and serve with toppings like vegan butter, coconut butter, or even vegan cream cheese.
- Cover and store the vegan bread at room temperature for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 3 months (I always slice my loaf of bread before freezing it).
- Keep in mind that you need to use active dry yeast, not baking powder, baking soda, or any other similar ingredients.
- You could also add a little bit of oil to the dough if you want to, but that’s not necessary.
- Feel free to add any spices or herbs you like, or even other ingredients like olives, dried tomatoes, raisins, or whatever you want.
- You neither need to use a Dutch oven nor a loaf pan, you could just make a ball with the dough and bake it, but I personally believe the dough is easier to handle if you do.
- I’ve never made a gluten-free version of this bread myself, but if you do, please leave a comment! If you’re gluten-free you may want to try our gluten-free bread.
- Prep time includes rising time, which is 2 and a half hours.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 91
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 233 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.1 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 2.6 g