For the tempeh bacon (optional):
- 4 ounces tempeh (100 g), chopped
- 1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple or agave syrup
- 1/4 tsp hot or sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
For the baked beans:
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (125 ml)
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans (425 g)
- To make the tempeh bacon, add all the ingredients to a bowl, stir and let stand for 1 to 2 minutes. Then cook the bacon in a skillet with some water or oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. Set aside.
- Cook the garlic and onion in a skillet with some water or oil over medium-high heat and when they start to golden brown, add the syrup, tamari or soy sauce, pepper and tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the bacon and beans and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens a little bit.
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. If the sauce it’s too thick, add some water or tomato puree before reheating the baked beans.
- Tempeh bacon is completely optional and you can also make our eggplant bacon.
- Feel free to add any other sweetener. If you use a non-liquid sweetener to make the bacon, add a little bit of water or oil instead.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.7 g
- Fiber: 6.2 g
- Protein: 13.9 g