Apples are in season, yay! And this time of the year is perfect for baking delicious, super healthy, sweet treats, like this vegan apple and blackberry crumble, which is also fat-free, although you can add some coconut oil or any other healthy fat if you want, it’s up to you!
I usually eat this crumble as a dessert, but Alberto prefer to enjoy it first thing in the morning as a healthy breakfast. We love to eat the crumble cold and usually add some plant milk or vegan ice cream, depending on the time of the year. Hope you try this recipe!Print
For the fruit layer:
- 2 peeled and diced apples*
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (300 g)
- 4 tbsp brown or coconut sugar**
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
For the topping:
- 1 1/3 cup rolled or instant oats (160 g)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp brown or coconut sugar
- Place all the ingredients for the fruit layer in a saucepan and cook over high heat. Bring it to a boil and then cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until the fruit is cooked.
- Pour the fruit layer into a baking dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 355ºF or 180ºC.
- In the meanwhile, we’re going to make the topping. Place the oats and the ground cinnamon in a mixing bowl and heat the syrup and the sugar in a saucepan over high heat until the sugar is melted. Stir frequently. Pour this mixture into the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Place the topping onto the fruit layer.
- Bake for about 10 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- And the crumble is ready to eat! We prefer to eat the crumble cold with some vegan ice cream or any plant milk we have on hand, but you can serve it hot if you want. Feel free to reheat it and if it’s too dry, add some water or any plant milk of your choice.
* We used red apples, but any other type of apples is okay.