For the vegan Alfredo sauce:
- 1 cup unsalted raw cashews (150 g)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk (200 ml), I used almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (4 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For the pasta:
- Soak the cashews in water the night before. You can also soak them in hot water 30 minutes prior to cooking, but I think the sauce gets a better texture if you do it all night long.
- The morning after, drain and rinse the cashews, and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the vegan butter or oil in a pan, add the onion and golden brown over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and golden brown for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Put the onion and garlic into a blender with the other sauce ingredients (cashews, plant milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper) and blend until smooth.
- Put the pasta and the sauce in a pan, stir until well mixed and cook for 1 or 2 more minutes.
- Serve with some parsley on top (optional) or keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. If the sauce is too thick when you reheat it, just add some more milk.
- Any type of pasta will work (also gluten-free), but Alfredo sauce usually goes with fettuccine or any other long kind of pasta.
- If you’d like your Alfredo sauce less creamy or more liquid, add 1/4 more cup of plant milk.
- Other than pasta, Alfredo sauce works with salads like this kale salad, as a marinade for vegan “meat” such as seitan or you can even dip some raw veggies in it and make a wonderful appetizer.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 455
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 327 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 71.8 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 16.1 g