Easy vegan 7-layer salad with layers of veggies, tempeh bacon and a super creamy dressing. It’s much healthier than the classic salad and tastes amazing!
Growing up, I ate salad as a side dish every single day, so I love salad so much and I make them all year long, not only in spring and summer.
Salads are amazing, they’re so healthy and you can use any ingredient you want: veggies, fruits, legumes, grains, nuts, seeds, seaweed, healthy fats or whatever. They’re a great choice if you want something quick and easy, but also good for your gorgeous body.
I like to make my own combinations with my favorite ingredients, but I also enjoy trying new recipes, like this 7-layer salad. I know it’s a classic in America, but not in Spain and OMG, it’s one of the best salads I’ve ever tried!
To veganized it, I used tempeh bacon, shredded carrots instead of the cheese and corn kernels instead of the egg. The creamy dressing is made with cashews, but you can also use our vegan mayonnaise. Looking for classic recipes, I found people use different veggies, so I added my favorite ones.
As this recipe is made with cashews, corn, tempeh bacon and carrots instead of mayo, eggs, bacon and cheese, it’s a much healthier salad and you can make it even lighter using our eggplant bacon and less dressing.
LOOKING FOR MORE SALAD RECIPES?
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1 cup romaine lettuce (50 g), chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels (140 g)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (150 g), chopped
- 1 batch of tempeh bacon (or eggplant bacon), sliced
- 1 red or white onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 cup peas (140 g)
For the dressing:
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews (150 g), soaked for at least 20 minutes in hot water
- 1/2 cup water (125 ml)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- We served our salad in 2 25 oz jars, but feel free to use a larger jar, a serving dish or a bowl, it’s up to you.
- If you use canned corn kernels and peas, drain and rinse them. If you use them frozen, cook according to package directions.
- To assemble the salad, add lettuce to the jar/serving dish/bowl. Then top with corn kernels, cherry tomatoes, tempeh bacon, onion, carrots and peas.
- To make the dressing, add the cashews (drained) to a blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Top the salad with the dressing and some chopped chives (optional). Serve immediately or refrigerate covered for a couple of hours.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for 3 to 4 days (dressing separate from salad).
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 178 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 8.7 g