- 8 oz tempeh (250 g), cut into bite-size pieces
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk (90 ml)
- 1/4 cup water (65 ml)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cilantro seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Medjool date
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- Add all the marinade ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the marinade to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the tempeh, stir and keep covered in the fridge for at least 1 to 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Thread a few pieces of the tempeh onto wood or metal skewers.
- Grill your tempeh skewers (you can also cook them in a skillet) with or without oil for about 5 to 10 minutes each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with some peanut sauce or your favorite dip or sauce. Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Add your favorite spices and herbs.
- Dates can be replaced by any other sweetener.
- This recipe can also be made with tofu or seitan instead of tempeh.
- To reduce bitterness in the tempeh, you can boil or steam it for about 1o to 15 minutes. This is completely optional.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer (of 5)
- Calories: 113
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 124 mg
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.7 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 8.8 g