- 8 oz tempeh (250 g)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for the marinade + extra virgin olive oil to taste for frying the bacon
- 1 tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp red hot sauce or 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp liquid smoke or smoke powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- Slice the tempeh as thin as you can without it falling apart.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients (except the salt) in a bowl. Soak the tempeh slices in the marinade for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan and when it’s hot, add the tempeh and cook for 1 or 2 minutes each side over high heat until both sides are browned and crisp.
- Lay cooked tempeh on paper towel to cool. Add salt to taste.
Recipe adapted from Healthy Happy Life
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 75
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 109mg
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 3.6g
- Protein: 4.4g