For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp red hot sauce or 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp liquid smoke or smoke powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
For the tempeh bacon:
- 8 oz tempeh (250 g)
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste for frying the bacon
- Pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Slice the tempeh as thin as you can as long as it doesn’t fall apart.
- Soak the tempeh slices in the marinade for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Heat some extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and when it’s hot, add the tempeh and cook for 1 or 2 minutes each side over high heat until both sides are golden brown and crisp.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with dishes like sauteed kale, vegetable tempura, vegan mashed potatoes, or breakfast potatoes.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Feel free to use any type of oil.
- You can use other sweeteners, although it’s best if they’re liquid.
- If you can’t eat soy, you could make the bacon with seitan instead of tempeh, and coconut aminos or salt instead of tamari or soy sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of 10
- Calories: 75
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 109 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.6 g
- Protein: 4.4 g