- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cups dry long-grain white rice (370 g)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (710 ml)
- 1 and ½ cups salsa (390 g)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans (425 g), drained
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the garlic and the onion. Cook over medium-high heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice, stir, and toast until the grains begin to turn golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable stock, salsa, and spices (cumin, paprika, oregano, pepper, and salt), stir, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Add some greens by serving it with vegetable tempura or veggie stir fry as a side dish.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Feel free to use your favorite veggies, spices, and herbs.
- Any type of oil, rice, vegetable stock, and beans will do, but keep in mind that if you use another type of rice you may need to add more or less stock, and cooking time may vary.
- Salsa can be replaced with tomato sauce.
- Prep time and cook time don’t include the 10 minutes you need to let the rice sit before serving. If you’re in a hurry you can serve it immediately though.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 539
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 882 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 100.9 g
- Fiber: 13.2 g
- Protein: 21.8 g