We eat cold soups here in the south of Spain to beat the heat, Gazpacho is probably the most famous recipe, but there are others, like ajoblanco (white garlic in English).
The traditional recipe is made with white bread, but I used this easy rye and spelt bread instead. Stale bread works better. Some people soak the bread and the almonds overnight, but I don't, although if you don't have a powerful blender, you should do it.
I added chopped almonds and some extra virgin olive oil on top, but it's also common to add melon, raisins or grapes.
I was born in the north of Spain, but I live in the south since I was three. My mother learned how to cook from her mother, so she didn't make this kind of recipes because they're not very popular in the north, except maybe the gazpacho. I love cold soups, they're super refreshing and taste so good, so I learned by myself. I hope you like my recipe!
- We Spaniards love garlic, but maybe you don't, so you should add only one clove and garlic, taste the recipe and add more if you want.
- Use your favorite bread, vinegar or non refined oil.
- Ajoblanco is served very cold, so you can use cold water, add ice cubes or let stand it in the fridge until it's super cold, you choose!
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
Ajoblanco (white garlic in English) is a typical Spanish cold soup and is so refreshing and delicious. It's a great way to beat the heat!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Spanish
- 2.7 oz rye and spelt bread (75 g)
- 1 ⅓ cup raw blanched almonds (200g)
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups cold water (500 ml)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Let stand the ajoblanco in the fridge until it's very cold.
- Serve with chopped almonds and some extra virgin olive oil on top.
Keywords: spanish ajoblanco, spanish cold soup, almond soup
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or any other social network).