For the meatloaf:
- 1 cup canned or cooked chickpeas (170 g), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned or cooked kidney beans (170 g), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ground flaxseed (120 g)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast (70 g)
- 1/2 cup tahini (120 g)
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce (65 ml)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk of your choice (65 ml), we used soy milk
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup ketchup (150 g)
- 2 tbsp cane, coconut or brown sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
- Add the chickpeas and beans to a mixing bowl and mash them with a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients of the meatloaf and mix until well combined. You can also blend all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Press mixture firmly in a lined 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan. Feel free to place the mixture onto a lined baking sheet and form it into a loaf pan with your hands.
- To make the glaze just mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the glaze.
- Spread the glaze evenly over top and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the vegan meatloaf to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing it from the loaf pan.
- Keep it in a sealed container in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Tahini can be replaced by any nut butter or even oil.
- Sea salt can be used instead of the tamari or soy sauce. Add more milk if needed.
- To mash the chickpeas and the beans, use a fork or a potato masher.
- You can blend all the ingredients in a food processor to prepare the meatloaf.
- You can line the loaf pan with some parchment paper before adding the mixture so the meatloaf is easy to remove.
- If you don’t have a loaf pan, feel free to place the mixture onto a lined baking sheet and shape it with your hands.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 558 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.3 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 11.1 g