We Spaniards make cold soups all the time during the summer and you can find them at so many restaurants in the south of Spain. They are a great choice for vegans, but you need to ask for a cold soup without toppings because they're usually served with some egg, ham or tuna on top.
You can eat porra with a spoon, but also as a dip with some bread, crudités, tortilla chips or even with some typical Spanish "fried" eggplant, but removing the molasses (this recipe can also be made with salmorejo). Porra is less popular than gazpacho or salmorejo, but is also delicious. It's quite similar to salmorejo, but is thicker and is from Antequera, a town located in Malaga, the city where we live in the south of Spain.
The traditional recipe is made with white bread, but as I can't eat white flours because I'm on an anti-Candida diet, we used pumpernickel bread (whole grain rye bread), which is healthier and tastes amazing as well. I've been avoiding refined food since a few years ago, but I can't eat them anymore and I'm happy because I feel like I'm taking care of myself and I'm feeling so much better.
- If you use another type of bread, you may have to add more because rye bread is so heavy.
- Feel free to use your favorite vinegar.
- If your blender is not powerful, you maybe have to add some water.
Porra Antequerana (Spanish Cold Tomato Soup)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2.2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 Italian green peppers or 1 red bell pepper
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5.5 oz rye bread
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Porra is served cold, so you can store it in the fridge for at least an hour or serve it with some ice cubes.
- We added some chopped rye bread and green peppers on top.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Is it 4 tsp or 4 tbsp of vinegar?
Hi Anita! It's 4 tbsp 🙂
If tomatoes are not in season, can we used canned - puree, whole tomatoes?? And how much?
Hi Susan! I've never made this recipe using canned tomatoes, so I don't know, sorry! We don't use canned tomatoes in Spain very often, we prefer tomato sauce or just fresh tomatoes. Have a nice day!
Michael Blackman says
PORRA ANTEQUERANA (SPANISH TOMATO COLD SOUP) 4 apple cider vinegar--4 what, tsp or tbs?
Hi Michael! 4 tbsp, sorry!
Anita Lee says
Does bread go into the soup mix or just on the side?
Hi Anita! You need to blend the 5.5 oz or 160 g of bread with the rest of the ingredients 🙂