- 4 whole wheat bread slices (use gf if needed), stale bread works best
- 4 salad tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber, peeled
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (see notes for an oil-free alternative)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 20 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Toast the bread in a toaster, skillet or oven. Then cut it into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Chop the veggies and add them to a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir until well combined and serve immediately.
- Best when fresh, keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 13.3 g
- Sodium: 572 mg
- Fat: 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.1 g
- Fiber: 8.3 g
- Protein: 10.9 g