For the marinated tempeh:
- 8 ounces tempeh (250 g)
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
For the wraps:
- 6 wraps/tortillas
- 2 julienned carrots
- 1 julienned red bell pepper
- 1/2 julienned red onion
- 3 cups chopped lettuce (150 g)
- Marinated tempeh
- Oil-free vegan yogurt sauce to taste (optional)
- Place the tempeh in a saucepan and cover it with water. Add 1 tbsp of tamari or soy sauce and bring it to a boil. Then cook over medium-high heat for at least 10 minutes.
- Drain the tempeh and slice it. Put the tempeh in a mixing bowl with the other tablespoon of tamari or soy sauce and the rest of the marinade ingredients.
- Let the tempeh marinate for at least 1 or 2 hours, better overnight. This step is optional, although if you don’t marinate your tempeh, it will have less flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the tempeh onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- To assemble, top each wrap/tortilla with the veggies (carrots, red bell pepper, red onion and lettuce), marinated tempeh and yogurt sauce to taste. I prefer my wraps/tortillas cold, but you can warm them in the oven or a frying pan.
- Best when fresh. Store leftovers separately in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Lemon juice can be used instead of the vinegar.
- Feel free to use any sweetener, healthy fat, spices, herbs, veggies or sauces.
- Tofu and seitan are also a great choice instead of the tempeh.
- Use any leafy greens you want.
- You don’t have to bake the tempeh, you can also saute it, grill it or just use your favorite cooking method.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap with no yogurt sauce
- Calories: 20
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 722.5 mg
- Fat: 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.8 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 13 g