For the lentil loaf
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned lentils (400 g), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (15 g), finely chopped
- 1 cup ground flaxseed (120 g)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast (70 g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
For the glaze
- ½ cup ketchup (120 ml)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Add the lentils to a mixing bowl and mash them with a fork or a potato masher.
- Incorporate the cooked onion and garlic and all the remaining ingredients of the lentil loaf. Then mix until well combined. You can also blend all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Press the mixture firmly in a lined 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan. You could also place the mixture onto a lined baking sheet and form it into a loaf with your hands, but it is easier to make and way more convenient with a loaf pan.
- To make the glaze, just mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Spread the glaze evenly over the top of the lentil loaf and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the lentil loaf to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing it from the loaf pan.
- Serve your lentil loaf with vegan side dishes like roasted potatoes or vegan mashed potatoes.
- Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
- Feel free to use any type of oil, onion, flaxseed, salt, or sugar.
- You can also cook the lentils from scratch.
- If you can’t find nutritional yeast, you could also use brewer’s yeast. However, nutritional yeast is the best choice for this lentil loaf recipe.
- I used store-bought ketchup, but our homemade recipe will work great with this vegan lentil loaf.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 353 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 17.5 g
- Protein: 15.8 g