This is the best recipe I’ve tried in a long time! Seriously. Spaghetti and meatballs is not a common recipe in Spain and when I tried it for the first time I loved it so much. I make a vegan alternative now and it tastes even better.
Ikea offer some vegan dishes here and these meatballs are my favorite one. They also sell them at the supermarket, so we bought them and made this healthy version that tastes great. We usually use our homemade tomato sauce or marinara sauce to serve our meatballs and also make some pasta sometimes. These balls are so delicious, you can eatthem alone, with no sauce. Hope you make this recipe guys!
Ikea Style Vegan Meatballs
I usually serve this Ikea-style vegan meatballs with some homemade tomato sauce or marinara and sometimes I also cook some pasta.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4-8
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (60 g)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (120 g)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 handfuls of chopped fresh kale or spinach (40 g)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (400 g)
- 1 tsp brown or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika. We used hot paprika, but you can use sweet paprika if you want
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour or ground oats (180 g)
- Cook the frozen peas and corn according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion, carrot, red bell pepper and kale over medium-high heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the chickpeas, peas, corn, sautéed veggies and the rest of the ingredients, except the oat flour in a food processor and blend for a few seconds.
- Add the flour and blend again until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 390ºF or 200ºC.
- Make balls with your hands.
- Place the meatballs onto a baking tray or a baking dish and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until they’re cooked.
- Serve with your favorite sauce. We love homemade tomato sauce or marinara, but it’s up to you. We also love to eat our balls with spaghetti and some fresh basil on top.
- Feel free to reheat or freeze these meatballs.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!