How to make coconut butter at home using just 1 ingredient. It’s incredibly delightful, easy to make and ready in 1 or 2 minutes.
This recipe is life-changing! I’m a huge nut or seed butter lover, but coconut butter is out of this world. I ADORE coconuts and there was a cafe in Bali where everything was made with coconuts, it was a paradise for me and this butter reminds me that amazing place. If you love coconuts as much as I do, please give this recipe a try.
Besides, shredded coconut is pretty inexpensive comparing with some nuts and seeds and coconut butter is ready in less than 2 minutes! I wish I had discovered this recipe before, I’m sure I’m going to make it all the time.
Coconut butter goes well with pretty much everything: as a spread, as a topping for your desserts, on baked sweet potatoes or squash, in your smoothies, in your morning oatmeal, and you can also use it instead of any nut or seed butter or even regular or vegan butter in any recipe you want.
looking for more how-to recipes?
- Vegan caramel sauce (3 ingredients)
- How to make chia seed jam
- How to make pumpkin pie spice
- Vegan cashew frosting
- How to make coconut whipped cream
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 3 cups shredded coconut (270 g)
- Some people use a food processor to make this recipe, but I think it’s better to use a powerful blender (we used our Vitamix). The coconut butter will be ready in just 1 or 2 minutes and the texture will be better (so smooth and creamy and less chunky) if you use a blender, but if you only have a food processor, don’t worry, it will be ready in 8 to 10 minutes (approximately) and will be delicious as well.
- You need to add at least 2 cups of shredded coconut (180 g) to get a good consistency, if you add less, your blender or food processor won’t be able to blend the shredded coconut properly and your coconut butter won’t have a good texture.
- To make the butter, just add the shredded coconut to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. It should have a creamy consistency, similar to peanut or almond butter. It will take about 1 to 2 minutes in a blender and 8 to 10 in a food processor, but it may vary depending on the machine you’re using. If the shredded coconut sticks to the sides of the blender or food processor, just use the tamper of your blender, a knife or a wooden spoon to scrape down the sides.
- Keep the coconut butter in a sealed container at room temperature for at least 2 weeks or even more. Depending on the temperature of your house, the coconut butter can harden once cooled and sometimes it separates out into 2 layers (the oil in it tends to separate to the top). Just mix until well combined or heat the butter a little bit (submerging the sealed container in warm water, on a double boiler or in a microwave). Besides, if placing on hot food, it should melt quite easily on the food.
- Coconut butter is delicious as a spread, in smoothies or oatmeal, on baked sweet potatoes or squash, or instead any nut or seed butter or even regular or vegan butter in any recipe.
- If you don’t have a powerful blender or food processor, you could add some melted coconut oil to ensure the shredded coconut is getting processed well.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 3 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.6 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 0.6 g